I am a research scientist by training and experience. Over 18 years I delivered significant postharvest outcomes for the Wild Fisheries and Aquaculture industries in South Australia and other States when working for the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI)
During that period I also secured in excess of $15M in funding and in-kind support, and prepared and published more than 35 research papers, reports and feature articles.
Projects successfully delivered included studies on rock lobster condition assessment and disease, postharvest handling of small pelagic and deep-water fish species (including cold chain assessment, flesh quality maintenance and nutritional profiling), crustacean live export and sea urchin roe enhancement.
- Musgrove, R. (2012) Maintaining post-harvest quality of key species from the Great Australian Bight Trawl Sector. Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Project 2010/220 Report: 89pp.
- Musgrove, R., Carragher, J., Manning, A., Zammit, B., Thomas, P. and Buchanan, J. (2011) Effects of harvest and post-harvest processes on quality of Australian Sardines (Sardinops sagax) and Redbait (Emmelichthys nitidus nitidus) for feeding aquacultured Southern Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus maccoyii). Aquaculture Nutrition 17, Issue 2, p e19-e29.
- Fitzgibbon, Q.., Seymour, R., Buchanan, J., Musgrove R.& Carragher, J.(2010) Effects of hypoxia on oxygen consumption, swimming velocity and gut evacuation in southern bluefin tuna (Thunnus maccoyii). Environmental Biology of Fishes 89, 59–69.
- Fitzgibbon Q., Baudinette, R.V., Musgrove R.J. and Seymour, R.S. (2008) Routine metabolism of southern bluefin tuna (Thunnus maccoyii). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology – Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology, Volume 150, (2), 231-238.
- Musgrove R, Carragher J, Mathews, Slattery S. (2007) Value-adding Australian sardines: factors affecting rates of deterioration in sardine (Sardinops sagax) quality during post-harvest handling. Food Control. 2007; 18:1372-1382.
- Musgrove,R.J and Carragher, J.F. (2006) Optimising at-sea post-harvest handling procedures for the Australian Sardine (Sardinops sagax). Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Project 2002/236 Report: 203pp
- Gardner, C and Musgrove, R.J. (2006) Quantifying shell hardness in southern rock lobster (Jasus edwardsii). Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, 15 (2), 17-35.
- Musgrove R.J., Geddes M.C., Thomas, C (2005) Causes of tail fan necrosis in the Southern Rock Lobster, Jasus edwardsii. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 39, 293-304.
- Musgrove R.J. and Babidge P.J. (2003) The relationship between haemolymph chemistry and moult increment for the southern rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii Hutton. Journal of Shellfish Research 22 (1), 235-240
- Musgrove, R.J. (2001) Interactions between the haemolymph chemistry and condition in the southern rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii. Marine Biology 139 (5). 891-899
- Musgrove, R.J. (1999) The use of haemolymph chemistry in the condition assessment of the southern rock lobster Jasus edwardsii. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Lobster Health Management. Journal of Shellfish Research 19, (1). Pg 677.
- Musgrove, R.J. (2000) Moult staging in the Southern Rock Lobster Jasus edwardsii (Clark). Journal of Crustacean Biology 20, 44-53
- Musgrove, R.J. and Geddes, M.C. (1995) Tissue accumulation and the moult cycle in juveniles of the Australian Freshwater Crayfish Cherax destructor Clark. Freshwater Biology 34, 541-557.
- Musgrove, R.J. and Geddes, M.C. (1995) Tissue accumulation and the moult cycle in juveniles of the Australian freshwater crayfish Cherax destructor Clark. Freshwater Biology 34, 541-557.
- Geddes, M. C., Musgrove, R.J. and Campbell, N.J.H. (1993) The feasibility of re-establishing the River Murray Crayfish (Euastacus armatus) in the lower River Murray. Freshwater Crayfish 9. 368-37.
I first became associated with Dr Richard Musgrove, because a colleague referred him to me as a person with knowledge of how to go about applying for Government grants. That person only scratched the surface of Richard’s potential. I employed Richard to run a media campaign in support of a project with which I was engaged, and he went well beyond what I was expecting, in providing on-time, and written responses to the various organisations, organising media releases, and a crowd-funding campaign, writing scripts for, and presenting video, and so on. He quickly developed an in-depth knowledge of what I was needing from him, and used his extensive and constantly developing network to help achieve the goals for which I was reaching.
I have no hesitation in recommending Richard to anyone who is seeking a committed, dedicated and reliable resource to help carry a project through to its conclusion
Crispian JonesSeachange Psychology
Dr. Richard Musgrove provided expert advice and editing skills to a piece I had prepared for release to the media. He was able to deftly weave the intent of the message in such a way that was engaging, informative and succinct yet still truly captured the ideas and information I wanted to convey to the reader. I was very pleased with the final piece, and delighted that it was printed without further editing by the media that picked it up and ran with it.
I will most certainly utilise Richard’s writing skills for future work and heartily commend him to you.”
– Penny Johnson, LNP Candidate for the seat of Cook, Queensland State Elections 2017
Further Testimonials may be found here
“Before working with Richard I had engaged friends and family to review my web site. After engaging Richard I immediately understood the value of working with a professional. Richard provided clear, easy to implement actions and new content which was so on point it even improved my understanding of my own business.” – Hugh Armitage, EasyComply, TheSpace, Cairns
Dr Richard Musgrove has proven his capabilities in roles that require an astute scientific mind and systematic approach. He commits to the project he is undertaking and ensures timeframes are met, reports are well prepared and budgets are developed and adhered to. Richard accepts responsibility for senior management roles and continually seeks to deliver the desired outcomes on budget, in a timely and effective manner.
I worked with Richard when we were developing a business case for investment in a range of NRM programs that was then presented to the government. This was delivered in person by Richard in his position as Operations Manager, the organisation’s Chairman along with myself, the vice chair. It was very well received in no small part to Richard’s attention to detail, intense research and scrutiny, fact-checking and excellent wordsmithing and presentation of the final document. This document and the manner of presentation, was referred to as an example for other organisations in community-based NRM to follow when preparing their similar submissions.
Richard was articulate and engaged well with department heads and representatives of state and federal government departments. He has consistently developed and maintained strong and respectful working relationships with funding bodies, industry peers and all 3 tiers of government. Richard always conducts himself with the utmost professionalism and commitment and I am confident he will continue to do so for anyone who engages his professional services through Musgrove Consulting.
Mrs Penny Johnson
Northern Gulf Resource Management Group (Past)
Currently: Vice Chair Australian Horizons Foundation
Mrs Penny Johnson, Vice Chair Australian Horizons Foundation;
“You have great skill! The quote is very professional and is very clear about what is needed, what you can offer, how and when. It’s wonderful that you understand our vision, it has always been important for is to work with something who understands that.”
Nikki GongNikki Gong Health and Well Being
“I am very happy to recommend Richard, not just in his capacity as Event manager, but because of a range of excellent attributes that would ensure his capability in many roles. The structure of our committee assigns jobs to members on a “portfolio” basis. Although he has held the position of Event Manager for two years, Richard does much more, and he does it reliably, willingly and with considerable flair. He has also taken a significant role in developing our program and troubleshooting problems when they arrive. His expertise with electronic media is a decided asset that he uses in all of these roles. I can recommend him highly.”
Rob Morrison Freelance science Writer, Broadcaster and Video production (SA), October, 2011,
“Richard is a thorough scientist who produces high quality research on a range of species and seafood products. He is also a very active science communicator, passionate about sharing science with the wider community.”
Dr Andrew Barber Operations Manager - Australia at Obela Fresh Dips and Spreads, February 7, 2012,
“At a recent conference that we held, Richard displayed outstanding organisational and leadership skills in coordinating speakers, managing the program timing, event photography and follow up reports and articles. I would recommend him to others seeking someone to fulfil a similar role in event coordination and delivery.”
-Jane Waterhouse, C2O Consulting
(This refers to the National Environmental Research Program (NERP) Tropical Ecosystems Hub Conference, held in Cairns in 2012.)
Jane Waterhouse, Project Manager and Science Coordination at C2O Consulting, October 18, 2013