I am a research scientist by training and experience. Over 18 years I delivered significant postharvest outcomes for the Wild Fisheries and Aquaculture industries in South Australia and other States when working for the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI)
During that period I also secured in excess of $15M in funding and in-kind support, and prepared and published more than 35 research papers, reports and feature articles.
Projects successfully delivered included studies on rock lobster condition assessment and disease, postharvest handling of small pelagic and deep-water fish species (including cold chain assessment, flesh quality maintenance and nutritional profiling), crustacean live export and sea urchin roe enhancement.
- Musgrove, R. (2012) Maintaining post-harvest quality of key species from the Great Australian Bight Trawl Sector. Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Project 2010/220 Report: 89pp.
- Musgrove, R., Carragher, J., Manning, A., Zammit, B., Thomas, P. and Buchanan, J. (2011) Effects of harvest and post-harvest processes on quality of Australian Sardines (Sardinops sagax) and Redbait (Emmelichthys nitidus nitidus) for feeding aquacultured Southern Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus maccoyii). Aquaculture Nutrition 17, Issue 2, p e19-e29.
- Fitzgibbon, Q.., Seymour, R., Buchanan, J., Musgrove R.& Carragher, J.(2010) Effects of hypoxia on oxygen consumption, swimming velocity and gut evacuation in southern bluefin tuna (Thunnus maccoyii). Environmental Biology of Fishes 89, 59–69.
- Fitzgibbon Q., Baudinette, R.V., Musgrove R.J. and Seymour, R.S. (2008) Routine metabolism of southern bluefin tuna (Thunnus maccoyii). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology – Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology, Volume 150, (2), 231-238.
- Musgrove R, Carragher J, Mathews, Slattery S. (2007) Value-adding Australian sardines: factors affecting rates of deterioration in sardine (Sardinops sagax) quality during post-harvest handling. Food Control. 2007; 18:1372-1382.
- Musgrove,R.J and Carragher, J.F. (2006) Optimising at-sea post-harvest handling procedures for the Australian Sardine (Sardinops sagax). Fisheries Research and Development Corporation Project 2002/236 Report: 203pp
- Gardner, C and Musgrove, R.J. (2006) Quantifying shell hardness in southern rock lobster (Jasus edwardsii). Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, 15 (2), 17-35.
- Musgrove R.J., Geddes M.C., Thomas, C (2005) Causes of tail fan necrosis in the Southern Rock Lobster, Jasus edwardsii. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, 39, 293-304.
- Musgrove R.J. and Babidge P.J. (2003) The relationship between haemolymph chemistry and moult increment for the southern rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii Hutton. Journal of Shellfish Research 22 (1), 235-240
- Musgrove, R.J. (2001) Interactions between the haemolymph chemistry and condition in the southern rock lobster, Jasus edwardsii. Marine Biology 139 (5). 891-899
- Musgrove, R.J. (1999) The use of haemolymph chemistry in the condition assessment of the southern rock lobster Jasus edwardsii. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Lobster Health Management. Journal of Shellfish Research 19, (1). Pg 677.
- Musgrove, R.J. (2000) Moult staging in the Southern Rock Lobster Jasus edwardsii (Clark). Journal of Crustacean Biology 20, 44-53
- Musgrove, R.J. and Geddes, M.C. (1995) Tissue accumulation and the moult cycle in juveniles of the Australian Freshwater Crayfish Cherax destructor Clark. Freshwater Biology 34, 541-557.
- Musgrove, R.J. and Geddes, M.C. (1995) Tissue accumulation and the moult cycle in juveniles of the Australian freshwater crayfish Cherax destructor Clark. Freshwater Biology 34, 541-557.
- Geddes, M. C., Musgrove, R.J. and Campbell, N.J.H. (1993) The feasibility of re-establishing the River Murray Crayfish (Euastacus armatus) in the lower River Murray. Freshwater Crayfish 9. 368-37.